In each preschool all staff including directors, teachers and early childhood workers work together as a team to provide high quality education for children.
As a team, they share common interests in job security, working conditions, career development and salary justice. These common interests are best protected and improved by the AEU which works exclusively in the education industry. As a large and effective union, we are able to protect and improve your conditions and pay.
Recent gains for Early Childhood members
- Increased permanency for teachers, early childhood workers and school services officers.
- Substantial salary increases for all preschool employees through Enterprise Bargaining.
- Maintenance of early childhood leadership positions
- Increased leadership administration time
- Country incentives for preschool teachers and directors
- Increased national recognition of early childhood education
- Six weeks paid maternity and adoption leave for preschool employees.
- Early Childhood Consultative Committee
The Early Childhood Consultative Committee is a group of fifteen elected annually. The Committee provides information and advice to AEU Branch Executive on matters which affect members working in early childhood settings. The Committee is representative of the members who work in country and metropolitan Preschools, Child Parent Centres and junior Primary Schools.
- Same First Day information for staff and parents
From 2014, there will be a new start date for preschool and school children. This will be the first day of Term 1. This change has led to considerable confusion among preschools staff and parents. Find information to assist with the new policy here. > Read more
- National Quality Framework for Early Childhood Education
The National Quality Framework (NQF) is an agreement between the federal government and state and territory governments regarding a new regulatory framework which will govern all early childhood settings. > Read more
- Early Childhood issues addressed in AEU submission
The AEU has made a submission to the National Professional Standards for Teachers Consultation. Included in the submission is a section on Early Childhood Education. > Read more
- Early childhood positions will go with amalgamations
The current allocation of state funding to the expansion of amalgamations and closures under Education Works stage 2 will be finalised at the end of June. > Read more
- New body to oversee national Early Childhood Development Strategy
During 2009, the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) agreed to a wide-ranging package of reforms for early childhood. > Read more