The AEU has made a large number of gains for members working in Aboriginal Education. They include:
- Organising the first national conference for teachers of Aboriginal children in 1976
- Held first Joint AEU / DECS Reconciliation Conference for educators 1998
- Negotiating a new job description that valued the role and changed the title from Aboriginal School Assistants to Aboriginal Education Worker in 1981
- Negotiating the first industrial agreement in 1987 for Aboriginal Education Workers
- Ensuring that Aboriginal students were supported in schools by lobbying the government to appoint Aboriginal Education Teachers in 1982
- Negotiating with the government to support beginning teachers by appointing induction officers to run induction programs in Aboriginal and Anangu Schools.
Our policy on Aboriginal Education includes the statement that Aboriginal people have an inalienable right to self determination. This means that Aboriginal people are best placed to make decisions about Aboriginal issues and education.
To ensure there is an Aboriginal voice in our structures we have established an Organiser with Aboriginal Educators' focus, an identified position on Branch Executive and identified positions on Branch delegations to federal conference and the federal committees.
Furthermore, we have an active Aboriginal Education Consultative Committee who are charged with the important responsibility of advising Branch Executive, Council and Principal Officers on issues pertaining to ATSI students, ATSI educators, Aboriginal Education and Reconciliation, amongst other issues that arise.
For more information about the Aboriginal Education Consultative Committee or any other issues regarding the AEU and Aboriginal Education issues, feel free to contact Danny Ellis: firstname.lastname@example.org or an AEU Vice President. Alternatively, contact Danny or a VP on phone 8272 1399.
- National Support Staff Week Action for Aboriginal Educators
National Support Staff Week 2016 is to be celebrated by AEU members the week of 15th – 19th August (Week 4). > Read more
- Aboriginal Members Mini Conference (Upper Spencer)
A one day mini-conference for AEU Aboriginal members in the Upper Spencer region and north of the state. > Read more
- Murra Mullangari: National ATSI Health Careers Development Program
Applications are open for students interested in attending an upcoming national development pilot program in the health sector. > Read more