- Being the main contact person between the AEU and the worksite.
- Normally being the first point of contact between a member at the worksite and the union.
- Organising and communicating with members about meeting times
- Sharing information from the AEU office with the worksite members
- Supporting and promoting AEU membership
- Act as a spokesperson for the AEU on workplace-based matters
- Attending Area meetings.
- If they have undertaken Merit Selection Training, they are also given the first opportunity to be the AEU representative on an selection panel
Support for the sub-branch secretary is given support by the main AEU office through training and regular contact with AEU organisers. They are also provided with a booklet outlining AEU rules, policies, organising tips and a range of other resources to assist them in representing the members at their work site.
All new sub-branch secretaries should attend training. Click here for country rep training. City based training is a three day split course starting on either Thursday 21 March 2013 or Thursday 9 May 2013.