Why Step 8 teachers should join the AEU09-05-2012
- In enterprise bargaining the employer was offering all employees a 10.60% salary increase. Step 9 teachers would have received a 14.21% increase.
- The Arbitration case delivered a 16.71% increase for all employees and a 21.32 % increase for Step 9 teachers.
- On final salaries this is a $4861 per annum difference for Step 9 teachers. $83,009 compared to $78,148.
- On 1 October 2010 there is a $1668 per annum difference for Step 9 teachers. $79,816 compared to $78,148.
- 65% of all teachers are currently at the Step 8 level and all teachers who remain in the service should reach the Step 9 salary level.
AEU as training provider
- Clause 1.1.5 of the Step 9 Teacher Guidelines states that the AEU will be a source of professional development for progression to Step 9.
- Members of the AEU will have access to the approved professional development courses delivered by the AEU.
- The AEU will be providing support materials and training and development opportunities to members on the new Step 9 Guidelines.
- Members will be given the opportunity to be in-serviced about the changes.
- The AEU Information Unit can provide informed advice on the new classification.
- In the rare event that a teacher’s application for Step 9 is rejected by DECD, the AEU can provide advice about the grievance procedures.
- We can also support teachers in reapplying for Step 9.